Google have just launched there first ARG (Alternate Reality game) called Ingress to be played on Android Smartphones. You have to request an invite to play. It’s a global mind control battle that pits you against others around the world, all via your smartphone. It’s about mind hacking, something called Niantic. Looks super cool and another example of how Google are leading the way when it comes to creating immersive brand experiences that involve consumers across all screens. An amazing participation branding example showcasing the strengths of the Android platform and I can’t wait to get involved
A piece of content I wish I’d created. Great piece of youth marketing by Smart, for their FourTwo. Awesome inspiring use of skateboarders Kilian Martin and Alfredo Urbon to get urban Gen Y’ers to desire their wheels. Simple message, powerfully delivered & totally shareable. Goes to show you don’t need to bombard with features to engage. Thanks to my old colleague @aj_lockhart for the shout.
Awesome anthem for British youth in the lead up to the London 2012 Olympics by Adidas. Captures the spirit of British youth perfectly and the Adidas values of authenticity and energy. I have to disclose that although my agency Iris Worldwide didn’t do this work, Adidas are a client I work on, so I am a little biased🙂 Well done Adidas and Sid Lee.
Our latest work for global client Johnnie Walker’s sponsorship of the Vodafone McLaren F1 team. ‘Step Inside the Circuit’ is a branded content platform following Lewis and Hamilton as they give us a glimpse into the amazing world of F1 and the rockstar lifestyle attached. What I’m really proud of is the fact that we release this content within 24hrs of the actual race – ensuring it’s contextually relevant and exciting. Well done Grant Hunter, Paul Gage and team at Iris Worldwide, Singapore. Onwards and upwards
Doing the rounds on Twitter and Facebook. Pretty cool stuff at Coachella. Rendered 3D hologram of Tupac rapping with Snoop. Amazingly life like. Is this type of real time creativity going to be the first of a long list of stars being brought back onto stage during live events?
Nike are all over it when it comes to using the right people to help launch their products. The launch of Nike + Fuelband is another perfect example. They paid prominent YouTuber Casey Neistat (h’es got over 12,000 subscribers to his YouTube channel) to make a video about his experience with the Nike + Fuel band under the launch theme of #makeitcount. It’s a great piece of content that’s racked up almost 500,000 views in a few days. Great example of using the right influencers to help create content for you and spread the message. Notice the very subtle branding.
Last week my colleague Karen and I were looking at Lady Gaga and the lessons marketers can learn from her. As a master marketer, she has cleverly cultivated a following of die hard fans. There are numerous presentations on slideshare covering her as a marketing phenom, so we thought we’d add our POV on what brands can learn from Lady Gaga:
- BE PROVOCATIVE– don’t be scared to have a unique point of view on the world and stick to it
- “I’m obsessively opposed to the typical’ Lady Gaga
- BE TIMELY – pick the optimum moment to connect and the right context
- BE INCLUSIVE– leverage social media so your fans feel as though they’re genuinely part of your brand
- Gaga has branded her followers as ‘Little Monsters’ making them feel connected to her and each other
- BE GENEROUS– acknowledge and reward loyalists with real value
- Lady Gaga gives her Little Monsters exclusive first release access to content, songs
- BE DISTINCTIVE – take risks to get noticed
- BE OPEN – your fans’ WOM is the best marketing tool you have, but you can’t control it
- BE FRIENDLY– they can open doors to new audiences you’d never reach alone
- Lady Gaga’s association with Google has broadened her reach and given her fans even more of a voice
- Hooking up with Oprah and Perez Hilton has broadened her reach beyond teens
- BE QUALITY OBSESSED
- Limit idea distribution to the best of your content
- BE A CULTURE CREATOR – infuse your belief system across other aspects of culture your fans are into eg: fashion, activism, gay rights
- BE REAL – let your fans feel like they are having a real conversation