Here are some principals I’ve been talking about recently in different presentations about the new marketing model for engaging young people…it definitely focuses on digital natives around the world.
1. It’s not just about the BIG IDEA anymore, it’s about TRIBAL IDEAS – ideas which spark a rapid mobilisation of youth via social media, they can be big or intimate, they just have to get the tribe connecting with each other QUICKLY
2. It’s about interesting and provocative BRAND BEHAVIOURS, not brand statements or promises, it’s about DOING NOT SAYING
3. Youth are not a destination or target for your messages, they are your PARTNERS IN PRODUCTION and modulation of ideas
4. Think about CREATING CULTURE not mimicking it, provide an interesting lens into their world, rather than putting a mirror up to their lives
5. COLLABORATIVE CREATIVITY is the new platform for engagement, they want to participate in brand ideas, put their own spin and co-develop brands..they know your brand better than you do
6. Spark CONTINUOUS CONVERSATIONS NOT CAMPAIGNS, ban the word campaign from your marketing plan, think about what conversations in social media you are stimulating, fostering
7. CULTURE JAM with youth, be subversive and disrupt the status quo, find something for the tribe to CHANGE
8. INSPIRE THE SWARM don’t try and talk to individuals as decision making is a team sport
9. Ideas have to be FLUID and evolve, youth are chameleons and interests/passions change on a daily basis, so your ideas should morph and evolve with what the tribe wants
10. Have a clear and compelling reason to why youth will FOLLOW YOU
If you can apply a couple of these principals to your next conversation you have with youth, I reckon you may have some success..Word.